The instructions were super easy to follow, and the back of the box had pictures on it saying what all of the parts were, so that was super helpful. (I'm thankful I didn't throw away the box before I assembled it like I usually do.) It came with three pieces that connected to the spigot: the pressure regulator, swivel adapter, and the spigot attachment. I screwed all of the pieces together...
... and then attached it to our spigot outside. We also put the thicker tubing in the bottom and turned on the hose to make sure it wasn't leaking or doing anything weird. At this point, we could have also added a timer, which everyone recommends, but I figure we can always add that later. The timers were about $40 a piece, which cost as much as the whole kit, so we're going to try to turn on the spigot ourselves for a few weeks and see how it goes. (In other words, see how negligent we are.) We also could have added a filter onto the attachment, but we have a water purification system installed that affects the whole house, including our outdoor water, so it's already filtered.
Then, he cut the tube going across the yard where the trenches met and added these fancy T-shaped fittings to allow for the long hose to go across the yard.
At the end of each of the new pieces of tubing, Brad added the end pieces which stops the water from pouring out the end and allows the pressure to go to the sprinklers.
In the irrigation kit that we bought, there was a little "hole punch" that puts holes in the large tubing. Using that, Brad made little holes in the tube where he wanted the sprinklers to go.
Then, he inserted the "elbow" joint into the hole which holds the smaller tubing.
The smaller tubing is what actually connects to the sprinkler piece, which is placed above ground, around the corner from the big tube.
Not going to lie, it kind of bothers me that they stick up so far out of the ground. I'm a little nervous about our lawn mowing person running them all over. But, according to Brad, the heads need to be above the grass so that the water can spread. I'm just preparing to have to replace a lot of sprinkler heads.
But more importantly, they work! So, at least there will hopefully, someday, be not-dead grass to mow.
So, here's the cost breakdown:
Drip Kit: $40 (give or take... bad me didn't save the receipt.)
Extra coupling, poly tubing, end cap, and sprayers: $22
Special trench digging shovel that turned out to be a waste of money: $27
Total Project cost: $89
I feel like we spent way too much money on this project. We haven't put the drip system fittings in the retaining wall yet, and since I'm counting that portion of the drip kit in this breakdown, that will count as "free" later. So, that makes me feel a lot better about it. My biggest problem is that we bought this terrible extra "trench digging" shovel thinking it would be better to use it for digging the trenches than the old-fashioned spade we have, but it didn't work out. Bobcat used the spade anyway. (I didn't even include it in the blog post until now because it was so useless.) But, you live you learn. And now we will have green(er) grass... hopefully... someday.